Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Cartoon Art Museum




I had no idea this existed until Rebecca found it. Over the last twenty years, the Cartoon Art Museum has grown from a group of collectors into a full fledged archive in San Francisco. We wandered in Sunday morning and I was floored by their galleries.

I have a few pieces of original comic art. Maybe five. This place had dozens of original strips and pages by Neal Adams, Gil Kane, Jim Aparo, Charles Schulz, Bill Watterson, Berkley Breathed, and Dick Giordano to name a few. Not to mention production cels from classic Disney, Warner Bros. and Hanna Barbera. And a Simpsons cel owned by director David Silverman. And a Wil Eisner exhibit. And the Yellow Kid from the 1800's. And some new pieces from Eric Powell's 'The Goon', a book I've fallen in love with recently.

I could go on and on. Actually, I just did. It was all I could do to not blow a couple hundred bucks at the gift shop. Needless to say, it's well worth the six dollar admission and with an animation school around the corner, every student should be forced to attend at least once.

No comments: