Sunday, December 24, 2006

Improv Olympic


On the suggestion of Mike Brumm, we went to ImprovOlympic last night. They call themselves the iO now , but the NY Improv calls itself the Broadway Comedy Club so who am I to judge?

I haven't seen an Improv show in a while and this was a great place to come back to the form. The cast I saw at "Whirled News Tonight" was positive, energetic, professional and full of great ideas within scenes. Because of the nature of improv, you never know if you're going to see a good show. Last night I saw a great one.

I forgot how theater everything is at improv. They're not focusing on laughs per minute or what the crowd is like that night. They don't have to. They live in the moment and in the scene. It's as different from stand-up as techno is to folk music. I still love the sketch form, though.

No comments: