Saturday, August 05, 2006

Pinky and the Brain

In 1993, I was reconsidering my music career for one in writing (I'd do this a few times over the years)when Animaniacs premiered. I'd get home from college in time for it and since Batman: the Animated Series would follow it, I made sure I'd always be home.

I was amused by the first episode until a segment came on for Pinky and the Brain. It was the most brilliant thing I'd ever seen. The premise is incredibly simple; two lab mice that want to take over the world. The fact that one had the voice of Orson Welles put it over the top.

As soon as I saw it, I knew it was what I wanted to write. That's right. A cartoon changed my life. That should surprise none of you. By the time the characters were given their own show, I was taping it.

I haven't seen it in years but the first season just came out on dvd. Watching the four disc set, I can't understand why it's not rerun. Cartoon Network should have it on every day. It's just as sharp , original and downright emotional as it it's ever been. Oh and it has the best theme song ever. Which is right here.

No comments: