Sunday, March 23, 2008

The News


As the car pulled up to take us to the airport, I got a call.

"Your dad's in the emergency room. He's having a cardiological exam."
"Is everything okay?"
"Sure. Have fun in Colorado."

We flew first to Denver. An uneventful trip, if longer than Ben's patience. As we touched down in Denver, I turned my phone back on and checked a message form my uncle.

"Hi Jonathan, it's Uncle Peter. Call me back."

Renee was hustling Ben to our connecting flight as I called back.

"Hey Peter. How are you?"
"Better than you."
"Why's that?"

Peter's voice dropped.

"You haven't heard about your dad yet?"

I called my mom's cel. When Dad's test results came in, they showed he needed a triple bypass. Immediately.Should I come home?

"No, there's nothing you can do. Have a good weekend."

After two sleepless nights in Colorado Springs, Renee tapped me on the shoulder.

"You should go."

My brother-in-law Kurt drove me to the airport at 5 a.m. In the airport, I met a sergeant on his way back to Iraq. We traded stories and declared a tie. On the flight back, I couldn't focus enough to read so I spent the four hours watching Star Wars on my video ipod. Thank you, Steve Jobs.

I got to the hospital about five in the afternoon. The operation was over. Turned out it wasn't a triple bypass at all. It was a quintuple bypass. Had he been a car, it would have cost an extra grand. He was on morphine but responsive. Things are going as smoothly as can be expected. Today they moved him to a regular room and he should be home by Tuesday.

And that's why I haven't updated in a week.

3 comments:

Alex Grubard said...

Jesus Christ, good luck Jon.

LDK in STL said...

I'm so sorry this is happening. I am glad your dad is on the mend. It is good to hear that he will be able to go home soon. I'll be thinking about you and your family.

TCB Walsh said...

Sorry to hear about your dad JC - hope he's OK.