Tuesday, April 17, 2007

This is the Theme to Garry's Show

Recently HBO gave a lifetime achievement award to Jerry Seinfeld with a special that included a panel of Robert Klein, Chris Rock and Garry Shandling. They give Jerry a lot of compliments but also talk about the process and the craft of stand-up in a way I've never heard outside of a club. I've watched it three times and showed it to any comic who's walked into my living room. It's so good that my dad watched it and called me an artist.

RG, Alex, Ed and I were discussing the special and the more we talked, the more we focused on Shandling. He's managed to go from a household name to a well kept secret. Both "The Larry Sanders Show" and "It's Garry Shandling's Show" were seminal looks at show business and, ten years later, incredibly original.

Suddenly Ed and I started singing this. I haven't stopped. It's the most brillant sitcom theme that will ever be written.

1 comment:

Mo Diggs said...

Nice find.