Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Marshall Rogers


When I was in the third grade, someone passed me an issue of Detective Comics during class. I was always nervous about getting into trouble so I just glanced and passed it on. The one page showed the Penguin in jail, struggling against the rust stained bars while Deadshot escapes from the next cell. All I knew of Batman was Adam West and Superfriends. This was dark, adult, frightening. I felt like I wasn't ready for it yet.

That was my first exposure to the modern Batman, and my first exposure to Marshall Rogers. His run on Detective Comics remains one of my all time favorites. That's why I'm really saddened to learn he passed away in Flushing.

Most tributes will focus on his Batman work and rightly so. But I also recall his relaunch of the Silver Surfer comic in the late 80's. The character had many tries at a full length series and this was the most successful. Rogers' art was a big reason why. His Surfer soared in three dimensions and moved like an actual surfer. Space seemed vast and beautiful under Rogers pencil, and full of possibilities. He will be missed.

No comments: