Friday, March 23, 2007

Larry 'Bud' Melman

Calvert DeForest passed away after a long illness.

When I was about 10, I discovered 'Late Night with David Letterman'. I didn't understand it but I loved it. And no one exemplified that early tone like Larry 'Bud' Melman. The writers would send him to the bus station or down the hall in a bear suit or just make announcements on the air. He was so not camera-ready that he was adorable.

Here he is at the bus station. There's no real bit here other than Larry doesn't know how to work a microphone. It's hilarious.

2 comments:

Brian Kunath said...

I remember that. So funny.

And Andrea Martin from SCTV coming up next? What a dream this show was -- for NBC it was something to put on at 12:30 after Carson, and allowed to grow an audience because it was so damn cheap to produce.

Anonymous said...

That show was 50 percent of the reason I got into broadcasting. I used to set the alarm for 12:30am so I could watch it and then go back to bed.