Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Star Trek on Blu-Ray AGAIN!




Man, Paramount, you just don't give in.

Just last week I was raving about their Star Trek: Season One Blu-Ray. I haven't even finished the damn thing and here comes the movie box set. Star Trek 1-6 came the day before my birthday (thanks, Dad!)so I had to put down the Star Trek for Star Trek.

They look terrific. Yes, I is still boring and V is still stupid but they look and sound about as good as they are ever going to get. I forgot how good Star Trek III: The Search for Spock was until I saw it again in high def.

And they added a ton of new extras. They included everything form the old 2 disc dvd sets and still created more stuff. The best are the new commentaries. In an inspired move, the second commentaries take one step to the side. Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci who wrote the new Trek film provide a commentary for IV. Ron Moore covers III and Ira Steven Behr covers VI. Manny Coto interviews Nick Meyer for II and the Okudas and Reeves-Stevens get the short end of the stick, handling both I and V. Each one of these commentaries handles the films as a fan and historian, which is precisely what I'm doing.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Agreed. "Search for Spock" is a kick ass movie. Christopher Lloyd was awesome as the Klingon Kruge.

Jon Clarke said...

The last time I saw it you wer living at my house.

Anonymous said...

Oh shit, that right. We watched that one night on the big screen. It helps to have a great sound system and widescreen for that movie.

And then we watched great moments in music the next night. So much fun, and all we needed were beers, a flat screen and that massive DVD collection of yours.