Tuesday, September 16, 2008

I Got Up Again

I haven't been on stage in two months.

After the Philly's Funniest competition, where I performed perfectly for an audience that wasn't with me, I wondered if I should keep going. My life doesn't give me the opportunity to hang out and network much so I don't get booked often. It's been a long time since I killed and since I'm published in comedy often, maybe I've gotten all I could out of stand-up.

But Eric I asked me to do a spot at Comix. And Renee told me to do it. So I went. It was a little open mike thing but most of my friends were there, listening and enjoying each other's material. I got up fourth and did a good chunk of material I'd written that day. Some worked, some didn't. I had as good a set as anyone else, which for that line-up is saying something.

But the most important thing was it was pressure free. I didn't worry about having a great set. I didn't worry about how much better the other comics did. I didn't worry about where my life was going. I just wanted to get up. I missed it. And I enjoyed it.

When I posted about my frustration with stand-up, no one left a comment. But people kept coming up to me. "I hear you're quitting comedy?" Everyone seemed confused. It's not like when I stopped playing in bands. People shrugged, figured I was growing up. But with comedy, people wondered why I would walk away from soemthing I was good at. Well, you're right. I shouldn't. I'll be hosting Writer's Room at the PIT next Thursday. Stop by.

7 comments:

C.J. said...

Good stuff, man!! Maybe that little break was just what you needed!!

Anonymous said...

Get back on that stage...ya' bum. What d'ya want an invitation? Get back there I said.

Jon Clarke said...

Okay. Now finish my website... ya bum.

Cromely said...

I guess jokes are like dating. The minute you stop caring about your performance, you get all the positive attention you can stand.

Once you start focusing on it and really wanting results each time, well, that's the stuff master plans are made of...

Anonymous said...

LOL! Touche.

EM said...

I'm not in the habit of leaving comments ...

Anonymous said...

you should do that soca video for me...that will solve a bunch of headaches and give your action figure films the respect they deserve.....w