Thursday, November 15, 2007

Mystery Science Theater 3000

When I was college, I had a weekend ritual. Fridays I'd spend with the girlfriend but Saturdays I'd always get together with Howie Weingarten just so we could watch "Mystery Science Theater 3000". We were so devoted that we'd watch it two or three times that night, every time it was rebroadcast. It was a revelation at the time; the first comedy show I ever saw that sounded like me. Making fun of bad movies is nothing new (we're doing it now with "Play Cole Podcasts") but turning that idea into a sci-fi puppet show was a stroke of genius. It was nerd humor to be sure but looking back at Joel Hodgson's laconic style and ironic tone, it was also the first hipster comedy.

I've been slowly getting back into the show since discovering whole episodes online. Google Video has about 100 full streaming episodes but they don't have "Sidehackers", my first and favorite episode. Joel was still hosting, TV's Frank was the new mad scientist and everyone seemed genuinely excited to be doing this goofy, low budget show.

Luckily, "Sidehackers" is on youtube in 10 parts. I love it so much I'm posting all ten:

Part 1:


Part 2:


Part 3:


Part 4:


Part 5:


Part 6:


Part 7:


Part 8:


Part 9:


Part 10:

No comments: