Thursday, November 29, 2007

Japanese X-Men

I could have sworn I posted this before.

I've been flipping through my old X-Men comics and they're exactly how I remembered them; convoluted and overwrought. They are by far the hardest series to get into. Don't believe me? Pick up a random issue and try to tell me what it 's about. I believe the only reason the franchise is successful is because they force you to read ten books a month to figure out what the hell is going on.

But the few times the series has been accessible, it's been exceptional. Claremont and Byrne's run are some of the best comics of the 80's. Joss Whedon is doing a hell of a job on Astonishing X-Men. The movies (the first two anyway) were great. And people seemed to have really loved the FOX 90's cartoon. I personally found it cheesy (compared to Batman: the Animated Series) but I was excited when I found out Japan had made their own anime opening. The show was exactly the same but this title sequence shows what might have been.

No comments: