Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Evil Dead: the Musical



For the last six months, I'd been planning on seeing this. Luckily Alex Grubard and Mike Drucker invited me to see it at the end of February. We got tickets for the 26th.

Saturday I got a myspace bulletin saying the show would be closing on February 17th. I ran over to the box office, exchanged our tickets and we went last night.

It was worth the aggravation. The show is hilarious and infused with energy. The songs are funny but it's the live staging that makes the musical magic. Ryan Ward plays Ash with just the right amount of Bruce Campbell.

It helps to have seen the movies and it helps more to have seen them a lot. The crowd went beserk with every catch phrase (most from 'Army of Darkness'). And there's blood. Ludicrous amounts of blood. You could see stagehands mopping it up during intermission.

I'm really surprised the show's closing. It first premiered at the Just For Laughs festival in 2003 and has been running consistently since. It's gotten great reviews. The room I saw it in was packed. They just recorded a soundtrack album. I don't know what else it needs to become a hit, except more audiences. If you want to see it, go this week. Click the banner above. Go. I mean it.

You still here?

No comments: